The division of surgical pathology provides a wide range of clinical and consultative services at UK Healthcare. The division aims to provide prompt and timely diagnoses as well as special studies for specific diseases. The expertise of subspecialists in the division and the diversity of surgical specimens also provide an excellent environment for research and training. Consultations and requests for second opinions are welcome.
The pathology faculty have subspecialty experience in gastrointestinal, liver, breast, gynecologic, genitourinary, lung, renal, head and neck, musculoskeletal, neuropathology, cardiovascular, pediatric, transplant and hematolymphoid disorders. Also provided are special services in molecular pathology, digital pathology, and informatics.
The division collaborates with the bio-repository facility on collecting appropriate samples for cancer research and provides appropriate tissue material for ancillary testing and precision therapy.
Shadi Qasem, MD
Director of Surgical Pathology
Derek Allison, MD
Therese Bocklage, MD
Virgilius Cornea, MD
Julie Dueber, MD
Elizabeth Lehmann, MD
Eun Lee, MD
Robert McDonald, DO
Janna Neltner, MD
Sahar Nozad, MD
William O'Connor, MD
Mary O'Daniel-Pierce, MD
Protima Rayapati, MD
Dana Richards, MD
Nathan Shelman, MD
Valerie Taylor, MD
Molly Tovar, MD
Dava West-Piecoro, MD
Dianne Wilson, MD
Robin Gianneschi, one of our Pathologists’ Assistants, writes the dimensions of a specimen submitted for frozen section.
Shawna Baker, MBA, PA (ASCP) - Associate Director of Anatomic Pathology
Monika Ellis, HT (ASCP) - Immunohistochemistry Master Technologist
Robyn Gianneschi, PA (ASCP) - Pathologist Assistant
Teresa King, HT (ASCP) - Histology Supervisor
Michelle Washington, PA (ASCP) - Pathologist Assistant
Services and Facilities
- Surgical Pathology: the service handles more than 30,000 cases each year from routine GI and GYN specimens to complex, multi-organ resections
- Histology: a newly renovated lab processes and cuts more than 150,000 blocks per year in addition to special stains, muscle biopsies and other services
- Immunohistochemistry: up-to-date immunohistochemical stainers provide a wide selection of immunohistochemical stains, in situ hybridization and immunofluorescence
- Digital Pathology: recently introduced whole slide imaging technology allows for remote frozen section interpretation, archiving, tumor boards and educations
- Consultation: subspecialty trained faculty are available to provide consultation services for complex and challenging cases
The surgical pathology lab hosts the following types of learners on a regular basis: pathology residents, surgical pathology fellowships, medical students, and external observers.