B.S. in Biological Sciences - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1983)
MD - University of Rochester (1990)
M.S. in Pathology - University of Rochester (1987)
Ph.D. in Pathology - University of Rochester (1990)
CP Residency - SUNY Health Science Center (1993)
Hematopathology Fellowship - SUNY Health Science Center (1994)
Clinical Microbiology Fellowship - The Mayo Clinic (1995)
Wright, W.F., and J.A. Ribes. 2011. A diagnosis made in vein. Photo Challenge and Answer to the Photo Quiz. Clin Infect Dis 53:575,609-610.
Johnson, J.R., M.E. Menard, T.L. Lauderdale, C. Kosmidis, D. Gordon, P. Collignon, J.N Maslow, A. Andrasevic, M.A. Kuskowski, and the Trans-Global Initiative for Antimicrobial Resistance Analysis (TIARA) Investigators. 2011. Global distribution and epidemiological associations of the Escherichia coli clonal group A (1998-2007). Emerg Infect Dis 17(11):2001-2009.
Hage, C., J.A. Ribes, N.L. Wengenack, L.M. Baddour, M Assi, D.S. McKinsey, K Hammoud, D. Alapat*, N.E. Babady, M Parker, D Fuller, A Noor, T.E. Noor, T.E. Davis, M. Rodgers, P.A. Connolly, and L.J. Wheat. 2011. Multicenter evaluation of the diagnostic tests for histoplasmosis. Clin Infect Dis. 53(5):448-54. Epub 2011 Aug 2.
Wright, W.F., S.B. Overman, and J.A. Ribes. 2011. (1-3)-β-D Glucan Assay: A Review of its Laboratory and Clinical Application. LabMedicine 42;11:679-685.
Wright, WF, * C.N. Shiner, and J.A. Ribes. 2012. Lemierre’s Syndrome. S J Med 105:283-288.
Myint,T., J.A. Ribes, L.P. Stadler. 2012. Primary Amebic Meningoenephalitis: Photo Quiz and Answer to the Photo Quiz. Clin Infect Dis 55:1677, 1737-1738. Also on line at http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/12/1677.full.pdf+html and http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/12/1737.full.pdf+html
*Myint, T., R.N. Greenberg, J.A. Ribes, B.S. Murphy, M.N. Al-Hasan. 2014. Temporal trends, Clinical Characteristics and Outcome of Histoplasmosis in an Endemic Tertiary Care Center in Kentucky, 2000-2009. J Int Assoc Provide AIDS Care, 2014, 13(2)100-105.
Bernard, A.C., S.B. Overman, P.S. Winstead, A.K. Rockich, P. Kearney, C. Martin, and J. A. Ribes. 2015. Prospective evaluation of Staphylococcus aureus antibiotic resistance in ICU patients. Med Res Arch 2015:v0i3, 65. http://dx.doi.org/10.18103/mra.v0i3.65
*Myint, T., M.J. Dykhuizen, C. McDonald, and J.A. Ribes. 2015. Post operative fungal endophthalmitis due to Geotrichum candidum. Med Mycol Case Rpt 10:4-6.
Huaman, M., J.A. Ribes, K. Lohr, and M. Evans. Mycobacterium marinum Infection after Exposure to Coal Mine Water. 2016. Open Forum Infect Dis. 3(1):1-2. Doi:10.1093/ofid/ofv205. (published on line).
*Gundelly, P., Y. Suzuki, J.A. Ribes and A. Thornton. Differences in Rhodococcus equi infections based on immune status and antibiotic susceptibility of clinical isolates. 2016. BioMed Res Int. Aug 11, 2016: 2737295. Doi: 10.1155/2016/2737295. (on line)
* Kulengowski , B, J.A. Ribes, and D.S. Burgess. Polymyxin B Etest® compared to gold-standard broth microdilution in carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae exhibiting a wide range of polymyxin B MICs. accepted for publication April 2018, in press Clin Microbiol Infect Doi:10.1016/j.cmi.2018.04.008.
*Fenwick, A.J., V. Arora, and J.A. Ribes. Wohlfartiimonas chitinclastica: Two clinical cases and a review of the literature. 2019. Clin Microbiol Rev. 41:4; 33-38.
Haffler, ZJ, * B Kulengowski, JA Ribes, DS Burgess. Evaluation of the BD Phoenix automated system for determining antimicrobial susceptibility against carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae compared with broth microdilution. Int J Antimicrob Agents 54(2) Aug 2019: 249-254. https://doi.prg/10.1016/j.ijantimicog.2019.05.002.
Books and Book Chapters:
Diarrheal Diseases. In APIC Text of Infection Control and Epidemiology. 2009.
Bacterial agents of diarrhea. B. Murphy, M. Al-Hasan, J.A. Ribes (Contributing author)
Parasitic agents of diarrhea. J.A. Ribes (Corresponding author)
Color Atlas of Clinical Mycology. Love, G, and JA Ribes. CAP Bench Guide. Oct, 2018.
Administrative and Scientific Accomplishments:
Validation and Implementation of State of the Art Microbiology Testing at UK HealthCare
- WASP Lab Automated processing and digital plate reading for rapid and accurate culture results
- ePlex Platform for the testing of respiratory specimens and soon to include 3 very robust molecular assays for the identification of organisms and resistance mechanisms for organisms causing sepsis and fungemia
- Abbott M-2000 Instrument for the detection of Chlamydia and Gonorrhea testing for genital specimens, urine, throats and rectal samples, viral load testing for HIV, HBV, CMV and HCV and HCV Genotyping
- Roche 4800 for the detection of human papilloma virus and genotyping of HPV types present in specimens
- The GeneXpert for the rapid testing of sputum for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, testing of stool for Clostridium diffficile, Test of respiratory specimens for the rapid diagnosis of Influenza A, Influenza B and Respiratory Syncytial Virus.
- The Biofire platform for the rapid detection of diarrheal pathogens, community acquired infections of the central nervous system, and rapid detection of respiratory viruses from BALs and other saline-based specimens
- Matrix assisted Laser Desorption, Ionization, Time of flight (MALDI-tof) for the rapid and efficient identification of bacteria, yeast and acid fast organisms g=grown in culture
Author and Administrator for 12 Individualized Quality Control Programs (IQCPs) for rapid testing providing safe and reliable results while saving the institution over a half a million dollars early in reagent alone